Wednesday, January 19, 2011

January 16, 2011

Soul Food for Breakfast! Who would have thought. And yes, it was not all soul food! There was grits and smoked sausage. There was fruit and scrambled eggs. There was corned beef hash, straight out of the can, and there were many types of vegetables. Most of this was not Soul Food as I know Soul Food. Most of the Soul Food I was raised on was straight from South Georgia. Both of my parents were born and raised in the heart of the south, when meant crossing the tracks meant that you were on the wrong side of the tracks. Being brought up by this mentality was hard for me to understand as a small boy raised in the west. You see, I was born in southern California. After six years in Cali., we moved north to Oregon. Things out west weren't the same as they were in the deep south in the 60's and early 70's. I never really understood my Dad's philosophy on treating some people so different. It was a real shame. It wasn't always a personality conflict, but it most definitely was a racial issue. With my dad being in both WW2 and The Korean War, he saw things a lot differently through his eyes. I disagreed with him constantly. I could have tuned out so differently in life. It's too bad that some people still think in these terms today. I want my little girl to look in the mirror and know that all men and women are created equal. I watched the movie "Soul Food" last night. It was one for the memories. I was skeptical about it at first. Don't know why. I don't really watch a lot of movies, and I really didn't think it was for me. I WAS SO WRONG! There are a lot of good things in that movie to remember. The best was the ending. I'm not going to give it away. Here's the point. Soul Food is every body's food, because it comes from your soul. The lasting impression of people eating your food is a trickle down effect from your soul to theirs. Soul Food is not always food, but in reality, it is. We've all had troubles and dreams in our life. We've all had misunderstandings and communication breakdowns. IT HAS HAPPENED TO ALL OF US! Be wise today. Be thoughtful today. Be strong today. Be soulful today. Live from your heart and give from your soul!

No comments:

Post a Comment