Sunday, April 10, 2011

April 8, 2011

I remember very little from yesterday afternoon. I woke up this morning feeling very groggy and sore. Like someone punched me on the left side of my chest a thousand times. When I awoke at 3:30 A.M. this morning, my sheets were cold. I must of had a fever last night, because my sheets were damp to the touch. The bed was remade by someone and I needed some caffeine. There was a pudding pack on my moving table beside me. It must have been leftover from my dinner last night. I ate the chocolate pudding quickly at about 4 A.M. Starving! My waking status alarmed almost everyone. The staff saw to it that I remained calm and in complete well-being in my new surroundings. As I continued my day, I found the coffee lounge area. It was peaceful and I found some coffee. The warmth filled my hands and my soul. It enveloped my inner surroundings. I think coffee tastes better in periods of waiting. I met a man of 53 years of age who had a heart attack the Friday night before. It had been a week since his fall from grace. He looked really good for someone who had died 3 times in one night. He told me of his story and that when he finally woke up, it was 3 days later. He didn't like the news when he was told they don't know when he was going home. He actually looked content of just being there: that he knew he was stuck in the hospital for a while. My hands thanked him for his conversation and then found another cup of coffee. I sat and watched TV for a little bit and did very little most of the morning. Around 10 A.M. or so, my doctor informed me that I would be able to go home later that day. It just amazed me to hear that I was just admitted yesterday at around 10:30 in the morning, and now going home 27 hours later after having pacemaker surgery the day before. My mind did a lot of thinking. There will be no cooking for the next few days. A rest from my operation will be gratifying. I've got a long list of little things to do around the apartment. Watching the Masters golf tournament, writing and doing my taxes. I usually don't wait this long to do it, but procrastination took over my life in certain areas this year. It was one for the record books. Heart still beating and soul still searching.

No comments:

Post a Comment