Thursday, August 11, 2011

August 9, 2011

The second I woke up today, I knew it was going to rain. It's not that I believe in superstitions. Quit the opposite in fact. You see, I have a nose with a barometer attached on the inside to predict current frontal systems. In layman terms, when I wake up in the morning, I can tell you if it's going to rain that day without looking on the TV to see the latest radar patterns. It can be a good thing, especially in Florida. It has been known to backfire on occasion. It happens! Yesterday, was no exception to the rule. I knew it was going to rain early, and I knew it was going to rain hard. I needed a hot breakfast today and Oatmeal was stuck in my head. I wanted something light and tasted like summer, before the rain: Peaches and Cream Steel-Cut Oatmeal. After I enjoyed this breakfast, it rained soon and then, most of the day. The Oatmeal did take me back to rustic roots and dirt country roads. The cane poles sittin' on the edge of the pond. Old Coke machines. Lazy days and summer haze. It's too bad summer only has 11 weeks to go in Florida. Imitation has it's drawbacks. Don't ever underestimate the power of liquid sunshine!


Peaches & Cream Steel-Cut Oatmeal

3/4 cup of Water
1/4 cup of Steel-Cut Oatmeal
A pinch of Salt
1 tablespoon of Butter
A pinch of Mace
A pinch of Allspice
1 teaspoon of Cinnamon
3 teaspoons of Sugar
1 Georgia Peach, cut in half, pitted and rough chopped
2 tablespoons of Half & Half


In a medium saucepan, pour in the Water and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in the Oatmeal and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter. Let it set for 2 minutes. Stir in the Mace, Allspice, Cinnamon and Sugar. Take the cut up Peach and put it in a bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Pour the Oatmeal over the Peach and then pour the Half & Half over all. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment