Sunday, March 20, 2011

March 18, 2011

Boston Creme Pie. What is it exactly? Is it a pie? Is it a cake? Is it a pie that looks like a cake? OR: is it a cake that tastes like a pie? Either way: That's what I made today. The evolution of man, as we know it, can be tricky sometimes! Whatever! Anyway: I was going to make this for St. Patrick's Day, but the world got in the way! So my loyal friends: You tell me. Is it a pie or is it a cake? And another thing. Did it originate in Boston, Mass. or what or who came up with Boston Creme? All I know is, it's a South Georgia Thing. Every Wednesday night the church we attended in Hahira, Georgia(a small rural town with one stop light to it's name), dinner was served and the people brought things to go with the meal. One of the highlights of my daughters life was when Boston Creme Pie was delivered by someone. It was usually not homemade, but store bought. That was besides the point. My daughter loved it! So, in honor or her and the love that she grew with this high-fashioned dessert, I made a Boston Creme Pie. It came out pretty much as I imagined, except I should have refrigerated the creme filling after it was made to help it not be so runny. It wasn't firm enough: OKAY! It tasted great though. The filling took on an appearance of lemon cream pie filling. But, the TASTE WAS OH SO GOOD! RICH! Bostonian like! CHARACTER! Reminiscent of the past. PROPER! Maybe, that's why it's so popular in the Deep South. Besides this so-called logic of mine, the pie was tasty and loyal at the same time. It was simple. Two identical cakes filled with a creme filling and then topped with chocolate icing and powdered sugar. It could have been developed in Boston, Georgia for all I know(Boston, GA. is a town about 35 miles southwest of Hahira, GA.) Whatever the originality of this pie or cake, it's good! Okay! It's good! In fact, It's good enough to be a cake and a pie at the same time! Boston Creme Cake Pie. Now, that's more like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment