Friday, March 4, 2011

March 1, 2011

March came in with a bang. Culinary forethought 101: Just because things might be a little bad right now, don't ever give up on your culinary genius. To my great friends in South Georgia, and my long time friends Donna & Rich: This dinner was for all of you! The Theme: Once Upon A Time In South Georgia. I lived there for almost 4 years of my life. I can truly say it was an experience. I learned a lot about culture, people and most of all food in the Deep South. One can be very opinionated about many different things in this area of the country. It's okay! I have my opinions also. A lot can be learned from culture and people. When you place your heart in theirs, a sense and sensibility of things to come is rather heartfelt. Learning to slow cook is a way of relaxation and routine at the same time. You might not enjoy being in a hurry, but what's the rush: Going back to the fields to do more planting and plowing for the day. The people can be as hard headed as the deep red clay. I'm not too far away from my roots. A matter of time is what's the matter with time! March started out great! Here was the menu: Flatbread Crisps with Apple and Vidalia Onion Sour Cream Dip, Boston Butt that was left in a crock pot for 6 hours in a Homemade Barbecue Sauce(it melted away from the bone as I pulled it out of the pot), Garlic and 2 Cheese Mashed Potatoes(the cheeses were Asiago and Romano), Sweet Cornbread with Jalapeno Jam Butter, Corn on the Cob, Green Leaf Lettuce Salad with Red Grapes, Dried Pomegranates and soft Goat Cheese and French Spiced Chocolate Cake with Whipped Cream. Coffee was genuine Italian Roast. There was plenty of red and white wine to compliment the meal. I don't argue with food with character. There was no dilly-dally of the wise man. There was no I told you so. This was pure Southern fare. No complications of life. Just sit down and listen to the farm life you've been missing. It's probably not as far away as you think. The cotton may not be in full bloom anymore, but the dirt is free and the air is clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment