Saturday, March 19, 2011

March 17, 2011

Happy St. Patty's Day! I usually don't go out on this day to celebrate, and if I do, I would go to a Mexican restaurant. It's never crowded there on St. Patrick's Day! Think about it! So instead, I once again made my Sweet Potato Soup. I got good criticism from my last crowd, so I went in a slightly different direction and toned down the heat. It was different. Not better different or bad different. Different that has been refined. For the masses as my wife would say. She often says, "It's not about you, but about others". She's often right. It's been highs and lows over the past 20 years with my wife, but she often prevails. There's is no one I'd rather cook for than her. You see, she let's me do all the shopping, all the creating and all the cooking. There are the leftovers of course. But, her honesty shines the light in my kitchen. There is this remarkable trust that always comes through in my cooking and in her heart. It's really hard to explain. My heart has taken a toll over my lifetime. I had open heart surgery when I was 4 due to a heart defect leaving me with a hole in my heart at birth. I always trusted God to take care of me. I tell people, "He held my heart in his hands". I know that an operation in 3 weeks will be even more critical. At the age of 49, I will be receiving my first pacemaker. A lot has been going through my mind the past 3 weeks, when I was told I would need a pacemaker. I feel so young and old at the same time. I want to get up and go, but my heart and body often remind me: I'm not that boy anymore. My heart yearns for those days of carefree and playing on the farm. My mind tells me: I'm a man and there are so many important things in life. The past 45 years have been a blast and I long for the next 45 years. This recipe is dedicated to the one person who knows me better than anyone I know: MY WIFE. She will always be the Joy in my Heart.



Sweet Potato Coconut Creme Bisque


3 tablespoons of Olive Oil
1 tablespoon of Curry Powder
1 teaspoon of Pumpkin Pie Spice
2 cups of Sweet Onion, peeled and chopped
1 1/2 cups of Golden Delicious Apple, peeled and chopped
8 cups of Sweet Potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 quart of Thai Coconut Curry Broth(College Inn Brand)
2 quarts of Water
1 teaspoon of Salt
2 tablespoons of Olive Oil
2 tablespoons of Ginger Preserves
1 cup of Coconut Milk
1 teaspoon of Salt
2 teaspoons of Louisiana Hot Sauce
2 tablespoons of Thai Shiracha Hot Chili Sauce
1 cup of Orange Passion Mango Soda(World Market Brand)

Topping

1 cup of Light Sour Cream
1 1/2 teaspoons of Curry Powder
2 tablespoons of Butter



Heat the 3 tablespoons of Olive Oil in a large pot. Add the Curry Powder, the Pumpkin Pie Spice and the Onion. Cook on medium heat for 3 minutes. Add the Apples and Sweet Potatoes. Stir together well. Cover all this goodness with the Thai Coconut Curry Broth, the Water, 1 teaspoon of Salt, 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil and the Ginger Preserves. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook 30 minutes over medium-low heat until the Sweet Potatoes are fork tender. Take this entire mixture and blend in batches. Have a big bowl next to the blender to help with this scenario. Add this entire mixture back to the original pot and add the Coconut Milk. Stir in the 1 teaspoon of Salt, Hot Sauces, and the Orange Passion Mango Soda. Let it simmer over low heat 15-20 minutes or until hot and the flavors have developed. Serve with the Curry Butter Sour Cream.


Place the Light Sour Cream in a bowl. In a small saucepan, brown the Curry Powder and Butter until slightly thickened over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes. Take this mixture off the burner and let rest about 10 minutes. Add the Curry-Butter mixture to the Light Sour Cream.

Dollop tablespoons of the Curried Sour Cream over the Sweet Potato Coconut Creme Bisque. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment