Monday, May 16, 2011

May 12, 2011

Most of the time in the kitchen, I do whatever I want. Scratch that. All of the time. Today was no different. Many deals were scored on at the market and store this past week. So, with ideas in my head whirling around like the Tasmanian Devil, I go to the store to fill in the blanks. You really have to watch me, to understand how I react with food; especially at points of shopping and buying. When I say filling in the blanks, that's exactly what I mean. I see what I have on hand, what's on sale, and then I fill in the blanks to make it happen. Off to the market! Red Onion, Tortillas, Limes, Cilantro, Shredded Sharp Cheddar and two-for-one of the best pints of ice cream that are sold in this country. Thank two guys from Vermont! Obviously, I'm going Mexican. So, here's the concept. Fish Tacos with Pineapple Salsa, Cream Cheese with Pepper Relish and Tomato Jam, To The Max Nachos, Corn on the Cob and Mango Daiquiris. Not bad for a guy from San Diego. The Fish Taco itself is one of ultimate fabrication: Frozen Fish Fillets that have been masterfully wrapped in a flour tortilla, that have been warmed in the oven and then doused with Pineapple Salsa. The Pepper Relish was store bought, but the Tomato Jam was homemade. I simply put the two together and mashed with a half package of cream cheese. Brilliant! My To The Max Nachos are really not that special at all, but my daughter loves them anyway. It's just Corn Tortilla Chips with Chili, Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Salsa, more Cheese and then Sour Cream and Pepper Rings. The Corn was just standard fare: Corn boiled in water and sent straight to the butter. The Mango Daiquiris were actually a mix of mango and pineapple that had been chopped then frozen and mixed with lime, sugar, rum and ice cubes to produce a frothy pitcher of melting ice heaven. I talk a mean kitchen. Who's up for dinner?


Pineapple Salsa


1/2 cup of Red Onion
2 tablespoons of fresh Lime juice
2 cups of Pineapple, fresh cut into cubes
1 tablespoon of Sugar
2 tablespoons of fresh Cilantro, chopped
Sea Salt to taste

Cook the Red Onion over medium heat with the lime juice until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the Pineapple, Sugar and Cilanto. Stir together and turn off the heat. This will actually cook together and bring out more of the flavor. Pour the contents into a bowl and refrigerate for 2 hours. Season with a pinch of Sea Salt. Enjoy.


1 comment:

  1. Hmmm, I'm not a fish fan. How do you think this would be over grilled chicken on Jasmine rice?

    ReplyDelete